Sure, it's all in good fun, until.........

They tell you to put your air mask on. Then, the claustrophobia kicked into high gear and Chrissy freaked out.....just a tad.
So, this week we are up at Barbers Point (starting early in the mornings), learning firefighting, search and rescue, first aid/CPR and a whole lotta water stuff and I love the classroom stuff and learning. I'm even really good at observing. But when it comes down to the practical stuff (where firefighting is concerned) I no likey so much. The physical activity part of it is even fun to learn, but the suit, the air tank and then the mask--not so much my cup of java.
Tomorrow we will actually be in full gear and fighting a fire (controled, no worry) and I am thinking the only way through it is with my eyes closed so I am not seeing the darn mask enclosing my face. I don't even know why I have this phobia. Nothing in my memory bank is telling me of some horror I have previously survived. Prayers are welcome for this event on my behalf.
Meanwhile, those who already have their certifications are sailing the ocean blue, going to the other islands *sigh* and generally enjoying their week on the water. Maybe next week (if I can pass these classes) I will be having fun sailing, too.
Now I must go study and practice my steps for my turns on the fire hose, so that at least I look like I know what I am doing tomorrow. I'll try to get back after class if I can get someone to take a pic of me, if not, then Friday after the water classes.
Until later, love love to you all....


4 Comments:
You may come here and practice hosing us off while we muddle through 100-degree heat with no trade winds to speak of.
Please.
I am sorry you are suffering those kinda temps w/o my trades. I feel for ya.
I made it through yesterday but was told no photos were allowed. The union was there taking pics for their newspaper thing but all I have is a hard copy and no scanner to show you while I and my team were on backup mode.
Tomorrow is all the water stuff and I will be happy when it is done because I have had enough of my classmates in the confines of a small space (compared to the ship) and all their BS. Love the people but hate their conversations--I am there to learn and get my certs, not to here all the personal carp.
Now I am even debating whether I even want to be on this particular vessel. A tad too unorganized for my taste. I need structure darn it!
Big *smooch*
How cute! I love the pic. I hope the ship works out for you, Chris. Keep us posted, please!
Tab! So nice to see you pop in :-) We sailed the past 2 nights (7pm to 6am) and the impending hurricane Flossie made the seas pretty rough, most got ill and passed out. I wasn't ill but I did take a nap this morning since there was nothing to do after everybody crashed.
We ran drills (emergency type) as we are preparing for the Coast Gaurd on Thursday. Now we are off tonight (were spose to sail but Flossy is rearing her not so pretty head) and have to be back at 7 tomorrow morning. All the changing of shifts is getting a little tiresome but I am fairing better than most with the sea itself.
We'll see how it all works out, I'm hanging tough for the time being.
Apparently, no pics were suppose to be taken during our training last week but I have one I creatively aquired of me on the back up fire line. If I can figure out how to convert it from a PDF to a jpg, I'll get it posted eventually.
*smooch*
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home