Feeling a bit better today
Where do I begin? Besides having 5 teeth pulled yesterday, I am trying to come to terms with the inevitable loss of my buddy for the past 16 1/2 years, Gizzy. His little jaw started to look better and then it just expanded to a humongous size. I took him to the vet and though I was concerned with his being anestitized at his age to have a tooth removed, she (the vet) said it was a tumor. She tried to get a biopsy but when she pulled back the plunger on the syringe, only got a little blood, and Gizzy then bled like a stuck pig. I was hoping that draining it a bit would take the size of the lump down but it didn't.
Apparently, she has seen this type of malignancy in cats and said if she were to try to remove it that she would have to take part of his jaw. I thought that just having soft tissue would be an improvement to the enormous thing he has right now because it is hard for him to eat. I don't want to watch him slowly starve to death. So she gave me antibiotics to give him to see if it would improve any infection that might be there and we return for a check up on June 3rd.
I slept on the couch last night with him right on top of me, I'm not sure who was consoling who, but at least I had a whole night with him. He was not ready to get up this morning and neither was I really, but I had to go back to the dentist. I am trying so hard to adjust to my new top denture but I feel like I am gagging most of the time. We will keep trying to do adjustments until I am comfortable with it but at least today I am doing better so far. I have to practice talking and swallowing--what makes me feel like gagging the most--but at least the gums are healing well.
And for once I fell asleep without any thoughts needing to be pondered. For some reason when I go to bed, my brain clicks into high gear and my creative process is in rare form (once I sort it all out) but last night was just peaceful and loving with my Gizzyman. I woke up with a bad headache but even that is gone now that I have had a fresh cup of coffee (I didn't have any yesterday) and there are things I need to get done and maybe I will later.
For now I think I need a nap. So until later, love love to you all....


3 Comments:
{{hugs}} Woe! I'm so sorry to hear about gizzy. :( He's been so lucky to have you all this time.
*smooch*
I can so relate to losing a 16-year-old cat. That was a neat description of your relationship. #hug#
Thank you both, MM and Cyg, for your support emotionally.
It was another night on the couch with him last night and up until 1 this afternoon, he didn't want to move and I couldn't force myself to make him.
But then I finally had to go to the bathroom and when I put him down he stayed right there so I ran to the store for some fresh meats that I could puree for him.
I was going down the canned meat isle without even realizing it at first and ended up getting him some sardines and pink salmon from that isle. When I got home I put the salmon in the blender and pureed it for him and he was able to eat pretty well.
I was very concerned about his not eating and having his organs start shutting down so this was a big relief. Then he just went outside :-) so I think he may feel at least a tad better.
I got bananas for me, still trying to figure out how to eat solid foods without much luck for me either and I had to blend my banana with some milk.
*hugs* to you both, too.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home