Thursday, October 12, 2006

In dedication to Tab

I did reply to everyone in yesterdays post and I was a writing fool again today, but it made the time go fast. Here ya go:

As much as Tab would love for there to be more romance with McYummy in this tale, I must sadly report that there is not, at least not yet. But there is always hope, isn’t there? At the very least he is in the top spot for being my long distance booty call :D Since I didn’t win the millions last night, this isn’t going to happen any time soon, but Saturday is coming.

Meanwhile, back on my vacation…. I was up at 4 the next morning to get ready to leave for the airport and an early flight. Joe helped me load up my stuff and we were off to Denver. What a trooper, that poor man was probably glad to be rid of me and my odd hour flights. I had a little bit of time to have that last smoke and a cup of java before checking in. When I got inside the line was not long but it wasn’t really moving either. I really couldn’t tell what was going on at the counter and when I finally could see, everyone seemed to be rearranging the contents of their luggage or something. I plopped my bags on the scale and the big one was 9 lbs. over their limit (yeah, right) and they wanted me to rearrange or pay 25 bucks. I was in no mood to shuffle my shit (it was 6 in the morning for Gods sake) and I had won the 50 bucks at the reunion so I forked over the fee and asked if they were paying for their beautiful airport that day. The lady laughed and said she guessed so and I said the odds of EVERYONE being over weight was pretty slim, come on now.

Finally rid of my luggage, I headed through security, which by this point was backed up almost to the check in point. I have books, no problem, I read while I moved through the little “cow chute” with the rest of the cattle. And once again, I got through security with no issues even though I had a lighter in my pocket, undiscovered yet again. I learned on my first flight out of Honolulu that one could get aboard with a lighter in ones pocket merely because I found one in mine and then it became a game, to see how many times I could get away with it on my 10 different flights while on vacation.

The flight to Atlanta was uneventful so I slept since I was exhausted. When I woke up I was being told to sit my seat up for landing and we did land and were told to put the window shades down to keep it cool for the cleaning people. This was so we couldn’t see what the fuck was going on, of course, and MAYBE to keep it cooler, though it didn’t seem cool at all 45 minutes later while we were still sitting there on the tarmac. I lifted my little shade to see what was happening and I couldn’t really see a problem, other than the fact that we were still sitting there and not taxiing up to a gate. I had a several hour layover so I was not in any danger of missing my connecting flight but there were those who had that concern.

We finally made it in and I took the time to buy some postcards and start addressing them while I waited for my next flight out to Boston. I was getting excited about being on the east coast and seeing my best friend Jody and my family, not to mention the Counting Crows, but we’ll get to that in proper sequence. I have this thing about getting a window seat and they asked if I wanted an exit row, sounded good to me. Lesson #1: ALWAYS ask for an exit row window seat. I learned this when I got on my flight and had this wonderful seat. It is like first class as far as the leg room goes and the person in front of you can’t really get their seat back far enough to annoy and piss you off. Plus the added benefit of extra attention from the flight attendants who must go through a procedure with you and make sure you understand the importance of this row and if you are capable of executing your duties should the need arise. Oh, sure, I can lift 50 lbs and chuck it away if there is an actual emergency, no problem, but I may pee my pants when it is over and done with. We all laughed and the flight attendants as well as the flight crew were just a riot. The captain had a wonderful sense of humor and said some really bizarre stuff, which most people didn’t even pay attention to but the exit row peeps were all over it and laughing hysterically. Made for a fun flight and we were in Boston before I knew it.

The plan was to catch the bus to New Hampshire and see the family and the concert before coming back to Boston to chill with Jody and as luck was not on my side, I just missed the bus because I stopped to ask for directions on where to catch the darn thing. So I had a 2 hour wait for the next one and since I hadn’t heard from Jody I took the time to call her and make sure she knew I was coming back. I had to leave a message and I said if I didn’t hear from her in the next 5 days I guess I could be stranded with my family and 5 days was enough but I really was looking forward to seeing her and CALL ME!! Then I checked my messages and left one for my housemate Eric, who was flying back home from New York at the time and said to let me know he made it home okay. Then I read my book while I waited and what I didn’t know was once I got on that bus and left Boston I would not have a signal on my phone.

The bus ride was pleasant, a nice big bus that serves snacks and waters and headphones (for the movie they put on) free of charge even! The sunset was beautiful and I was more interested in it than the strange movie they played and I couldn’t follow. When I got into New Hampshire it was 10 at night and the bus driver didn’t want to leave me there by myself. It wasn’t like it was someplace all dark and deserted or anything but since nobody seemed to be picking me up, he was concerned about my well being. The stop is, in reality, in front of some Ivy League school, the name of which escapes me at the moment. But I said no worries my brother would be along soon, the driver waited anyway. Such service!! If only I could have found the rest of the easterners as cordial, but mostly I found them rude, obnoxious and totally inconsiderate. Not that everyone was horrible but the drivers there flip you off and cuss at you a lot and I wasn’t even driving.

So there I am on a late Monday night, waiting for my brother to arrive. I called the house, I seem to have managed to get a signal on my phone in this tiny metropolis and Cathy, his wife, said he was on his way. Of course, I had no idea what vehicle to look for and it was too dark to distinguish a make or model of any truck but I knew he had a large one and he knew what I looked like and ya couldn’t miss my Hawaiian luggage, so I just had a smoke and enjoyed being outside and not in any mode of transport.

He pulled in and had that Eastburn look that only Eastburns (except for me) can produce but insist they don’t possess while surveying the size and amount of my luggage. I was going to be traveling for 3 ½ weeks so I had my huge case, my big case, a carry on size case and my back pack. I went and gave him a big hug and said “I know you are just so happy to see me and I am sorry you had to come out so late” and he didn’t tell me (then) that he was on medical leave and didn’t have to get up at 4 in the morning but once we were on the road he said he wanted to warn me about mom. I said Cathy had tried to prepare me for her loss of memory and if she was physically good then I was ready. He said “she might not recognize you or know who you are” and then I had concerns about her letting me in her house, which I voiced. He said she wouldn’t hurt me or anything, she just doesn’t always know who people are, even him and he sees her every day.

Well kids, I already have over 1500 words for the day and I’m sorry for the long read but will continue tomorrow—my work day is almost over and I gotta get ready to close up shop. Has anybody kept track or can anybody tell me what part this is? Part 4? Or 5? 6?

Until late tomorrow night (I have the PH gig after the state thing), love love to you all............

2 Comments:

Blogger mm said...

Sorry to hear about your mom, Woe. I hope that part went ok.

You know, whenever you refer to PH, I still can't help but think "Paradise Hotel", lol. What a dork. <--me, not you of course.

I do think you should try to meet up with McYummy, as soon as posisble. You never know...;-)

12:56 AM  
Blogger Chrissy (woe) said...

I am sorta trapped here until March with this project with the state but I am thinking the spring is a great time for, shall we say, "mating"? lol. I am gonna call McYummy today and see if he will consider that very possibility :D

You are not a dork babe, I am just too darn lazy to write out Pizza Hut every time and PH could be code for LOTS of things if ya think about it :) I? am a dork, really, I am still trying to differentiate between elusive and evasive since a pal told me 2 weeks ago that one of those words (I forget which one) was my word for the week.

I'll be writing more about my mom today, gotta get my butt moving or I'll be late for work.

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home