Thursday, May 05, 2005

Just regrouping

I really did mean to come and update here yesterday but I didn't really do ANYTHING yesterday that was noteworthy. Unless you consider picking up my final paycheck and going to make my car payment noteworthy. And I did read the rest of another book.

The night before (Tuesday) was not necessarily exciting but it did offer a few minutes of activity. My younger, hunter, king of the jungle cat brought in a baby chick, deceased, as another of his daily offerings. I disposed of it and so he went back for another. He was sitting outside with it and since I could hear it chirping I went to investigate. It kept trying to cuddle up to him which made him keep scooting back. He wasn't about to kill or harm it since I was so upset with him about the first one.

Mind you, he was a ferrel kitten when I brought him home as a baby but I thought he would not display those tendencies as much when he was domesticated. I hate that word--domesticated, so let's say "socialized" mmmkay? In the house he is the most loving and mostly docile cat but when he is outside it is a different story. Not that I was happy with the injured doves and geckos he would bring to me but at least he wouldn't generally kill them before presenting them to me so they at least had a chance of being returned to the wild to recuperate.

Raiding a brood of baby chickens is another matter altogether. When I took the second one away from him and brought it in and held it, it was very calm and quiet. I could hear others chirping so I went in search of their nest. I found it and returned the chick to it, reprimanded Nalo for being so cruel and brought him in for the night. Gizzy had followed me and as he is not a hunter and too old and toothless to do any harm, I let him see. He chose to lay and guard them. That's my boy.

Both cats are vocal and talk to me, Nalo actually sounds like he is saying actual words, it's scary sometimes, but how do I communicate that I appreciate the thought but don't need the gifts? I understand the logic behind why cats do this but bringing me dead or injured things is not my idea of love.

Today I am drained and fighting off a cold or sinus infection- I'm not sure which, but my head is so congested that my ears hurt. I know I should be out doing something productive but feel unmotivated to move. Still waiting to return to my old happy self soon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, did the second little chick live? I know how cats like to do this but it is sad to see. Mine act all tough when they bring home defenseless little baby birds. So sad.

Taking it easy and not being productive is OK chris! You deserve a break, so don't feel guilty. Take it extra easy now that you may be getting sick. *cautious smooches* (only if you're sick) Tabitha

10:43 PM  
Blogger Chrissy (woe) said...

Tabitha,

It was alive and well when I returned it but I haven't been back across the road to check on it since. So I am hoping it is okay.

It is hard to tell a cold from a sinus infection but I bumped up my echinacea intake to counteract whatever it is. Since I have been sneezing alot it could also be allergies.

If I had anything in savings (what is that anyway? I haven't had anything like that in a long time) I wouldn't feel so guilty but I do need the break so am taking it anyway. Thank you for your continuing support ;-)

*smooches*

Chris

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home